Welcome!

My name, Karin, was pretty common when I was growing up...just not the spelling. Unless you are of German heritage like I am. So, I have spent my entire life answering the question, "What is your name"?... With, "Karin...with an "i"! Who knew it would come in handy all these years later when I went to name my blog.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Quintessential Cleveland Christmas Decoration

Hi Everyone,


I know I have been showing you pictures of my Christmas trees, but we here in the Martin house have another decoration I thought I would share. Just when you thought we were super normal and boring, I show you a photo of this:



Yes, a genuine "Major Award"! Can this be real you ask? Is that really in the front window of this woman's home? Yep, and yep.



In case you haven't guessed, we are fans of the movie A Christmas Story. It was filmed partially in Cleveland ( when I was in high school, my marching band was invited for the filming of the downtown parade scene. They are even listed in the credits.) and the house used in the filming is now a museum dedicated to the movie.


Have I been to see the house? Where do you think the Leg Lamp came from???


Actually, my husband got it for me for my birthday one year...It comes in a box marked "Fragile" and has a Major Award certificate too. Very cute... Don't most women get jewelery or perfume for their birthdays though?


Not sure I want to know what that says about us!


Merry Christmas...And remember, "Don't shoot yer eye out!"

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Ha ha ha! We love this movie too. Our neighbors actually have the same lamp. They bring it out each year for Christmas and is place prominently in their front window. We just have to make do with a Christmas ornament that looks like the packing case. But it does say...."Fragile... I think it says fragile honey" when you open it.

Cheryl said...

Me again.... this just popped up in my Google reader. The cast of The Christmas Story then and now. Thought you might be interested.

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2009/12/14/thennow-cast-christmas-story

Courtney Baker said...

That is so funny! What a fun hubby!

Lynn McAuley said...

I love it, Karin!!!

TannyP said...

LMAO! That's awesome =) Hope you're enjoying the holiday season!

Unknown said...

That is so cute! I really like that movie, when they stick their tongues to the pole and their momma wraps them up so tight in their warm clothes! hahaha! Love it!

Pam said...

YAY for Aloha Fridays! YAY for leg lamps! When I go to Cleveland someday I will do two things. 1. Go to lunch with Karin (do they have a restaraunt @ that museum/house? 2. Get myself a leg lamp!

Related Posts with Thumbnails