Welcome!

My name, Karin, was pretty common when I was growing up...just not the spelling. Unless you are of German heritage like I am. So, I have spent my entire life answering the question, "What is your name"?... With, "Karin...with an "i"! Who knew it would come in handy all these years later when I went to name my blog.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Our Uncle Bill

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much to all of you who stopped by my blog and left comments for me this past week.  I chose to stay away from the computer as much as possible this week, due to Rod being on vacation from work.  It wasn't the greatest weather wise, (TONS of rain), both our cars ended up in the shop for repairs, and our beloved Uncle Bill passed away after a valiant battle with pancreatic cancer.  More on that in a moment. 

Still, we tried to make the best of things and went to the movies, (Dying for a comedy, we got suckered by the good reviews for Bridesmaids.  We must be the only people in the world who really didn't like it.  I wanted to laugh, really.  I NEEDED to laugh and gave it every chance to entertain me, but it never worked and fell flat for me) and also went out to eat here, here, here, and here.  It's true, we love to eat :)  In any case, I will be by your blogs soon, and I will be back on my regular schedule next week...

Until then, I just wanted to write a small tribute to Uncle Bill.  I wish I was a great writer.  More than anything I wish I had the gift of storytelling, but since I don't, all I can do it my best.

Bill was an uncle by marriage, married to my father-in-laws sister, and therefore only my uncle for a short 20 years.  He was amazing, one of those special people who left a mark on your heart for life and one of the most well rounded people I have ever known.

Working in the business world before he retired, he could navigate the Internet and knew how to use email.  He was an avid gardener, lover of the arts and travel, sports fan, and could tell you pretty much about how to fix anything.  He was a wonderful husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, uncle, brother and friend, as was evidenced by the massive turn out at his funeral.  He touched so many lives because he genuinely cared about you and what was going on in you life.  I've never had a boring conversation with him and we will cherish all the memories we have of our time spent together.  

Uncle Bill had a beautiful singing voice, and sang in the chorus of the Cleveland Orchestra.  Here he is singing a solo of "All I Ask of You" at my wedding.

Us with him and Aunt Susie that same day :)

This was a family party at our house maybe 8 or 9 years ago in the summer.  Uncle Bill is 3rd from the right.  While I love this picture, it makes my heart ache. A few folks had already passed away and are missing from the photo, and looking at it now, 3 of the people pictured are no longer with us.  Sigh.  Life moves on.


And this is a photo of us in the Everglades.  They started living in Florida for most of the year, and two years ago we went down to visit them for part of our vacation.  They were fabulous hosts and we had one of the most memorable few days of our lives with them.


Thank you for indulging me on this very personal post. Until next time....

We will always love you Uncle Bill!

6 comments:

Doreen said...

Hi Karin
I am so sorry for the loss of your uncle,but what wonderful memories you have that will last the rest of your life.xxx

1CardCreator said...

I am sorry for your loss Karin this is such a beautiful tribute to your Uncle, sounds like he was a most wonderful man.

Lindsey said...

A sad but sweet post, Karin. So sorry to hear about your uncle. Such an awful disease; my dad died of it as well. Glad you have so many terrific memories.

Emily Leiphart said...

Karin, I'm so sorry for your loss. This beautifully written post is a wonderful tribute to your Uncle Bill.

Cheryl said...

Karin, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man. Your post is a wonderful tribute.

Monica said...

Hey Karin, you write with so much emotion... loved reading your tribute... I think he is with the angels already.

Sorry that the movie did not make you laugh and thanks a pile for sharing all those very precious pictures.

xxx Monica

Related Posts with Thumbnails